12.09.2005

Yay! Starting school January 9th

Well, I'm still busy tying up all the loose ends that I've put off for the last few months... I went up to Carteret Community college Tuesday Dec. 6th to officially enroll in the Certified Nurse Assistant course. I'll start class Jan. 9th. Okay, that was redundant, I already stated that in the title of this post. I don't think I will find it all that difficult, I was certified in the same field 15 years ago. I'm going to see how it goes, maybe in the future I'll go back to college full time in the RN associates degree program. I really do like people, and the nursing field is so diverse, that I could logically move from field to field, and continue learning.

I'm starting to feel too old, and unsafe driving to strangers houses to deliver pizza to supplement my income.
A few gripes that has been troubling me the last few weeks are....

1. After you place the order over the phone, and you know that the delivery driver is expected in roughly 15-45 minutes, please don't wait until the person gets to your door to make out your check.
-It's winter, 20 degrees (or colder), company policy does not permit us to come inside your house, so please be prepared and have the check ready.

2. Please leave your porch light on until the driver makes it back to their car. I hate it when I've taken 2 steps off the porch, and am suddenly left in the dark! It's inconsiderate.

3. With daylight savings time, it is now getting dark even earlier, so please make sure there is sufficient lighting to safely get to your door without tripping on that tree stump that we can't see in the dark, or stepping in the pile of doggie doo that no one has bothered to clean up.

Some people don't think about the above mentioned things, so if one delivery person is warmer, or has better light, it does make a difference, and I'm glad I said it.

You know, I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop... the economy is terrible, yet the average order that I deliver is $25. I don't understand how people struggle to pay their bills from month to month, and can still afford pizza night twice a week! That's the main reason I've decided to get back into the medical profession. Times may get to where people aren't able to afford pizza 1-2 times a week, but healthcare will always be needed. Especially in Emerald Isle, the town that Dave and I live in. A large number of our local population are 65+ (22.4% as of the 2000 census). And I'm sure that number is well below current average. Home health care companies are understaffed, and are hiring nurse assistants right out of school. In the past, you had to have a minimum of 1-2 years experience in a hospital or nursing home to get a position with them.

I'm also pleased with myself, I sold my first item on ebay Monday. I sold the printer that came with my new Dell. It wasn't much, but since the printer didn't cost me anything, It was all bonus.

Well, I must rest so I can get through the day tomorrow.


-Peace-

No comments: