12.20.2005

Strange Day and Blurred Vision

Today for some unknown reason, I woke up with blurred vision in my right eye. I feel absolutely fine other than the fact that my vision is still off. Imagine this: Leave your optometrist office after having your eyes dilated for the glaucoma test, then, head straight down to your local cinema showing a 3-D movie, but don't put on the dorky paper glasses.... That's about the closest I can come to explaining my current predicament. I did stop by my doctor's office, and the nurse was a puzzled as I was, and said to come back, or go to the hospital if I had any "other symptoms" (headache, dizziness, heart palpitations, etc...).
Needless to say, I wasn't able to work tonight. I couldn't read street signs, let alone addresses off of houses, and mailboxes!

So that I didn't sit around, I did a little research on vegetarian nutrition. Since I've chosen to give up meat, I might as well focus on staying healthy. I do kind of miss the convenience of the grocery store frozen section. I always liked the frozen chicken fingers. Well while I was perusing VegWeb and a few forums, I found a recipe for quick seitan. I have not completed my pantry to include all the meals and grains, I haven't even experimented with tofu, so I decided to use what I have on hand. Since I do own a bread machine, I have a few different varieties of flour, I didn't have the wheat gluten, but I decided to use my whole wheat flour, and it would at least give me an idea if I might like the seitan as a meat substitute. I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour, and 3/ cup of water, so I wouldn't have to worry about pressing and squeezing out excess water. After kneading it 10 times, I set the meatless loaf in the fridge for about 10 minutes, and then cut it into about 15 chicken nugget size pieces. I dipped some of them in catsup, and some in blue cheese dressing. Yum! They were delicious, and at a tiny fraction of the cost of the actual chicken nuggets. I think the whole meal cost around a dime, and that's due to the fact that I used a lot of catsup! Time for sleep, Dave and I have a busy day tomorrow.

No comments: